The Wool Insulation Advantage
1. Safe Choice - Wool insulation is a natural resource that is environmentally friendly.
2. Flame Resistant Wool is naturally flame resistant and complies with the Australian Standards for flame resistance.
3. Superior Insulator - Research funded by the Wool Research Development Corporation has shown that wool is a better thermal insulator than other fibers under typical weather conditions because of its ability to absorb and desorb moisture from the air. It can help keep a building cool in summer and warm in winter. When outside temperatures increase the wool is heated and releases moisture which has a cooling affect on the fiber and the building. This may reduce temperatures by up to 7E °C. When outside temperatures decrease the wool absorbs moisture which can increase peak temperatures by as much as 4E°C.
4. Natural Sound Block - Wool insulation absorbs sound and therefore reduces noise levels considerably.
5. Healthy Alternative - Wool is non-carcinogenic (See Reports in the OSHA
website on carcinogenic mineral fibers-Good Shepherd Wool Insulation takes
no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained in the
linked articles.) and does not cause irritation of the skin, eyes or
respiratory tract. It can be installed without the use of gloves or
6. Repels Pests - The additive used to make our wool fire resistant and to repel vermin and insects is Boron, a naturally occurring element found in the earth.
7. Recyclable - Our wool may be used for other environmentally friendly applications at the end of its useful life.
8. Wool is also a very efficient absorber of indoor air pollutants. Research has shown that it can absorb and permanently retain high levels of formaldehyde, emitted from some common building materials and furniture and nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide, which are normal by-products of combustion processes (eg, gas stoves and heaters).